TLobsang.blogspot
by | Nepal

Friday, February 27, 2015

First time experience with Daura Surwal!

Thank you Mom for sending me this wonderful set of Daura Surwal!  

"Daura-Suruwal or Labeda Suruwal is a traditional national costume of Nepal worn by men. It is also worn by the people of neighboring Sikkim and Darjeeling. The equivalent female national costume is the Gunyou Cholo. The coat was added to the costume by Jang Bahadur Rana, Prime minister of Nepal in the 19th century. Daura is the upper wear and Suruwal is the trouser."   - Source: Wikipedia

It was totally a new experience in my life wearing this.

Me in Daura-Suruwal!
As soon as I wore the whole set, my Grandpa & Thulba's (Dad's bro) picture came into my mind. I felt them in me!! That might had happened because, in my whole life I have only seen those few, wearing the Dress. No matter whether they are so much literate or not, but I am happy that, atleast there are few of our family members who wear it for their daily basis. After all, they are so happy & satisfied with what they wear. 
Whenever I wear this dress, I represent them first. Nation comes second. 
You are our inspiration! Salute to you Grandpa & Thulba. :) 


Grandpa in Happy Happy mood!

Full pic in Daura-Suruwal (with National Flag)

History tells Rana Prime Minister Janga Bahadur Rana introduced coat in Nepal in 19th century. He was presented gift of coat by Queen of England. He started the tradition of wearing coat on the Daura suruwal. From then the tradition of wearing Daura with Suruwal became Daura Suruwal and Coat. Men wear Daura Suruwal with East Coat (Waist Coat) too. This combination is a kind of informal wear.
In 2017 B.S. Daura Suruwal was announced as national dress for men in government services and other national programs. Daura suruwal took a great pace of development in those in those years. Very few of Nepali now wear Daura Suruwal.

After 2046 B.S none of the elected or interim governments is able to define and announce any national the national dress. Now, there is no such dress or uniform that we can point our officially as Nepali. We still regard Daura suruwal as National dress of Nepal.